Beta Beta Beta
Beta Beta Beta
Tri-Beta is the National Honor Society in Biology, with active chapters at most major universities and colleges. Our chapter here at UNCG is the Beta Gamma Chapter. Membership in this society is considered a distinct privilege. It also serves to provide a group of peers who are committed to excellence in Biology. Members wear honor cords with their cap and gown at graduation to mark their exceptional work in the Biological Sciences.
Tri-Beta membership does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, or race. Any Biology major, second major, or minor may be invited to join Tri-Beta in the spring semester, as long as you meet the following criteria:
- You must have at least junior standing (60 credit hours), with an overall GPA of 3.2.
- You must have completed at least 14 credit hours in Biology, at least 8 of which must be at UNCG, with a GPA in Biology courses of at least 3.2.
A one-time membership fee of $53.00 is required, payable on the day of induction into the society. Of this amount, $50.00 goes to the national office to support scholarships and operating expenses, such as the Bios newsletter. The remaining money is used for worthy projects of the student members’ choice. Fund-raising is often done to increase the money given. For example, the chapter raised funds to help with the rebuilding of the Pennsylvania Primate Center which had burned.
BBB does not have a required service component, but members are encouraged to participate in any planned events by the group. Activities are determined by the members of Tri-Beta, and in the past have included:
- Peabody Park Improvement: We plant trees, and have periodic “Adopt-a-Park” type of trash pick-ups at least twice a year.
- Social events, such as trips to the NC Zoological Park in Asheboro, movie nights, and camping trips.
- Participating in marches, rallies, or workdays as decided by the members. (For example, we have taken part in the Winter Walk for AIDS, an effort that raises funds for AIDS education and support groups.)
- All members are expected to attend the induction of new members, which are held in the evenings, in the spring semester, for approximately one hour.
- The Departmental Graduation ceremony is planned and partially funded by Tri-Beta each May. The incoming president participates in the ceremony itself, and members serve as marshalls for the ceremony.
Beta Beta Advisors for the Beta Gamma Chapter are Ms. Robin Maxwell (Rm. 302 Sullivan, ph# 256-0066), Dr. Zhenquan Jia (Rm. 321 Sullivan, ph# 256-0078), and Dr. John Tomkiel-Dean (Rm. 203 Eberhart, ph# 334-4980).
Current members and officers of Tri-beta for the 2016-2017 academic year at UNCG. Check here to see who’s already in the group – you will undoubtedly recognize people who sit beside you in class every day!