Scholarship Opportunities for Undergraduates in Biology, UNCG
This page is a resource for undergraduate students in the Department of Biology at UNCG who are interested in various scholarship opportunities available to biology majors. Please be sure to check this page periodically for updates and additions.
The Summerlin Family Scholarships will be awarded for the first time in the 2013-2014 academic year to students entering their junior or senior year who are majoring in Biology with strong interests in medical technology/clinical laboratory sciences and/or biomedical areas of biology. Scholarship awards will be based on academic performance and are renewable. Interested students should contact Dr. John Lepri or the UNCG Financial Aid Office.
The Southern Chapter of the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) is announcing the Memorial Scholarship. Scholarships are awarded each year to students who are majoring in Arboriculture, Urban Forestry, Forestry, Horticulture or a related field. Sophomores and juniors who are U.S. citizens and who attend school and reside in the southern chaper region are eligble to apply. The application form can found on the ISA website http://www.isasouthern.org/scholarship.html; this year's application deadline is February 10th, 2015. A committee will review and select recipient(s).
STAMPS, Science, Technology and Math Preparation Scholarships, awards up to $6750 per year in scholarship support to students who major in Biology, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Computer Science, Geographic Information Science & Earth Science, Mathematics & Statistics, or Physics & Astronomy. Please see the STAMPS homepage for further information and the online application form.
Project ExSEL, Project Excellence in Science Education Learning, is a program initiated by the UNCG School of Education to increase the number of UNCG students who become high school science teachers and to also recruit, prepare, and support outstanding high school science teachers in high-needs schools. Freshman and sophomore students who are interested in Project ExSEL complete stipend supported summer internships. Students in their Junior and Senior years are awarded a $10,000 scholarship and become Noyce Scholars who commit to teaching in the public school system, in a high-need school, for two years for every year they received the scholarship. Interested students in Biology can find out more information by contacting Dr. John Lepri.
The NSF Math-Bio Undergraduate Fellowship awards a stipend of up to $4500 per year and offers exciting research opportunities with various math-biology research projects. Dr. David Remington and Dr. Olav Rueppell are Biology Department researchers involved with the program. Please see the NSF Math-Bio Undergraduate Fellowship page for more information and application requirements.
Project ENRICH is a program in the UNCG School of Education that partners local teachers with students interested in becoming science or math teachers in K-12 education through a teacher residency program. Please contact Allyson K. Lugo for further information.
The following scholarships are awarded to undergraduate biology majors by the Biology Department. For further information about these scholarships please contact Dr. John Lepri.
- The Inez Coldwell Scholarship is available to undergraduate students who are majoring in biology.
- The Arpha Burrell Biology Scholarship is awarded to a full-time undergraduate student majoring in biology. Recipients of this endowed fund are chosen based on recommendations by senior biology faculty in consultation with the financial aid office.
- The Melissa Wayne Curry Scholarship is awarded to juniors or seniors who are planning to pursue a career in veterinary medicine. This scholarship gives a preference to females born and residing in North Carolina who also are majoring in biology.
- The Ruth M. Collings Scholarship is awarded on the basis of academic achievement and financial need to juniors and seniors who are choosing Pre-Medicine, Pre-Dental or Pre-Veterinary Medicine programs.
- The Jessie Sinclair Collings Scholarship is awarded to female students choosing Pre-Medicine on the basis of academic acheivement and merit.
- The Mrs. Charles D. McIver Scholarship is awarded to junior or senior students choosing Pre-Medicine.
The College of Arts & Sciences has several different scholarships for general arts and sciences. Many of these scholarships are available to undergraduate full-time students majoring in biology or the sciences. Please contact the UNCG Financial Aid Office for more information and requirements.