Hiring Documents for Undergraduates Working in Biology, UNCG
INSTRUCTIONS FOR NEW STUDENT WORKERS – IMPORTANT!
If you have not already done so, you MUST go to the Career Services Center (CSC) 334-5454 located at #1 Elliott Center to do your I-9 paperwork. Take your passport or driver's license and social security card or other official documents with you when you go as you will need them to successfully do this paperwork.
Please see the LIST OF ACCEPTABLE DOCUMENTS.
The CSC will give you a small yellow card (your I9 card) which is yours to keep, but you must bring it to us in the Biology office so we can make a copy of it for your file. You can’t be added to payroll without the I9 card.
EXPLANATION of FORMS
- LIST OF ACCEPTABLE DOCUMENTS, is for your reference.
- EMPLOYEE DATA FORM. Complete, sign, print, and return to the Biology Office.
- AUTHORIZATION AGREEMENT FOR AUTOMATIC DEPOSITS Form. Complete, sign, print, attach a voided check, not a deposit slip, and return to the Biology Office.
- FORM W-4 for your federal tax withholding. Complete, sign, print, and return to the Biology Office.
- EMPLOYEES'S WITHHOLDING ALLOWANCE CERTIFICATE for your North Carolina tax withholding. Complete, sign, print and return to the Biology Office.
- STUDENT EMPLOYEE TIME RECORD this is your Time Sheet, see explanation below.
Return all forms, except the time sheet, to Helen Sedwick in the Biology Department AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
YOUR TIME SHEET = IMPORTANT!
Follow this link to the Student Employee Time Sheet from UNCG HRS. Make sure to fill in your name. As you work throughout the month fill in the dates and hours you work for each date.
- The Pay period is from the 11th of one month to the 10th of the following month
- Example: March’s Pay Period = February 11th to March 10th
- Timesheets are Due March 11th.
- You and your supervisor will be sent an email each month reminding you of the pay period and when your timesheet is due
- There are exceptions to the deadline of the 11th of the month, especially in November and December when payroll runs earlier due to the holidays. Therefore, pay attention to the email reminders! Failure to do so could result in having your pay being delayed until the next month and that's a long time to wait!
- Total your hours for each week
- Total your hours for the month
- Log hours in quarter hour increments, i.e., 15 minutes = .25, 30 minutes = .50, 45 minutes = .75 hours. Example: You worked 3 hours and 15 minutes - you would log 3.25 hours
- Sign your timesheet
- Have your supervisor sign your timesheet
- Turn it in to Helen Sedwick no later than the 11th of each month
- Time sheets turned in without the proper signatures will be returned and will not be processed until they are properly signed and returned. This can delay your pay by a month or more
- You MUST turn in your time sheet by the 11th of EACH MONTH
DO NOT HOLD TIME SHEETS FROM ONE MONTH TO THE NEXT!
You will find a hard copy of blank time sheets in the gray vertical rack on the Biology Office wall. Call the Biology Department at 334-4405 if you have questions.